FHE – The Living Christ Week 7
We’re getting closer to being done! Here is The Living Christ Week 7. It seems like each week is packed with a possibility of 4 or 5 really good family night lessons. There is so much to tell and to learn about our Savior. I have been teaching the principles but not in depth. It may be a wise idea to revisit the living Christ around Easter and go into more depth on some of these lessons. Maybe by Easter I will have the flip chart done! (I have to apologize but I don’t think it’s going to happen this month! We are going on vacation next week and trying to accomplish all that needs to be done for Christmas. I do want to finish them at some point. I think my kids will love them.)
Opening Song: Follow the Prophet CS p. 110
Scripture: Ephesians 2:20
Lesson: Discuss the lines you will learn tonight. This can be deep doctrine but just explain what your children are ready for. You can talk about our potential to become like Heavenly Father and how he has created other worlds just like ours. You can teach about the Godhead and talk about a modern day prophet and apostles just like the Savior had when he was alive on the earth.
1. “For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father— This is a doctrine that not all churches believe in. Discuss how Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father are 2 separate people. The father always introduces the son who then speaks. This line also tells us that Joseph Smith actually saw Jesus Christ sitting next to Heavenly Father in a vision. He heard Heavenly Father tell him that Jesus Christ is his son. What would that be like?
2. “That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, – Jesus Christ created the world that we live in as well as other worlds.
3. and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God” (D&C 76:22–24). – We are all spirit children of our Heavenly Father. He loves and knows each one of us. You can sing “I am a Child of God” here and talk about what the song is teaching. We have earthly parents who love us and are here to care for us on earth. Think about how much your parents love you and how sad they are when you do something wrong. Heavenly Father loves you just as much and he is watching over you too.
4. We declare in words of solemnity that His priesthood and His Church have been restored upon the earth— The priesthood was taken from the earth a little while after the Savior died because the apostles were killed and the people were not righteous. It was restored through Joseph Smith. The priesthood is what gives us the authority to act in his name. For example, when we baptize or bless the sacrament. Without the priesthood we can’t do any of those things.
5. “built upon the foundation of … apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone” (Eph. 2:20). – Jesus Christ is the head of our church. We have a prophet and apostles to testify of Him and to guide us in the way He wants us to go. If we follow the prophet and apostles we are doing what Jesus wants us to do.
Activity: Go over what you have learned and start to learn the new lines. If you have not written your testimonies, you can do that tonight or you can also start the White Stocking tradition. This is where you write down a gift that you can give the Savior this year. For example, you will serve others by ____________, or you will be kind to your family by ________, etc. Then you put these in a white stocking that hangs next to your other stockings. The next year you get your stocking out and read what everyone wrote and discuss how they each did.